2019 Historical Holiday Cookie Hop!
- 1 cup butter (salted, unsalted, or vegan)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 40 salted saltine crackers
- 1 packaged semi-sweet chocolate chips
- toppings, i.e., nuts, candies, etc...
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil (if using regular foil, spray with non-stick cooking spray for easy removal). Spread the crackers out on the foil in a single layer and fold up the edges of the foil to box in the crackers. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat on the stovetop. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes (set a timer), stirring constantly. Quickly pour over the crackers and spread to cover completely.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the oven. Turn off heat. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Let stand for 2-4 minutes until the chocolate looks shiny and is soft enough spread evenly over the toffee. If the chocolate is still not warm enough to spread after 4 minutes, place it back in the oven for a minute to help soften it.
- Top with any additional toppings if desired.
- Chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to harden. Peel away the foil and break into pieces.